Work Visa Sponsorship in Japan – Apply Now

Work Visa Sponsorship in Japan

Work Visa Sponsorship in Japan – Japan hires workers from various countries to solve this persistent problem. They have even implemented a new visa category to open employment opportunities for skilled foreign workers. Go through this page to know how to apply for Work Visa Sponsorship now

Work Visa Sponsorship in Japan

However, getting a working visa in Japan is not a simple process whether you are coming from overseas or already in Japan. In most cases, you need to have a sponsoring employer to get a working visa. You may ask, what are the types of jobs eligible for sponsorship in Japan? Let’s discuss the different types of jobs that are eligible for working visa sponsorship, including jobs that are not eligible.

Jobs Eligible for Work Visa Sponsorship

There are 13 working visa categories allowed by the Japanese government to sponsor foreigners to get a working visa while in japan.
Here are the following:
Working Visa Category Lists of Jobs
Professor University Professor, Assistant Professor
Artist Composers, Songwriters, Artists, Sculptors, Craftspeople, Photographers
Religious activities religious people such as Monks, Bishops, Missionaries
Journalist Newspaper Journalists, magazine Journalists, Editors, news Cameramen, Announcers, etc.
Business managers company presidents, directors, etc.
Legal/Accounting services Attorneys, Judicial Scriveners, Public Accountants, Tax Accountants, etc. certified in Japan
Medical services Physicians, Dentists, Pharmacists, and other Medical Specialists are certified in Japan. This does not include caregivers, social welfare workers, or home helpers.
Inter-company transfer This field involves people transferred to the Japanese branch (head office of the same company, etc.)
Nursing care certified care worker
Performer Musicians, Actors, Singers, Dancers, Sportspeople, Models, etc.
Researcher Researchers, Investigators, etc. at research institutes, etc.
Instructor Teachers, etc. at elementary schools, intermediate schools, and high schools.
Engineer/ Humanities/ International services Scientific Engineers, IT Engineers, foreign language Teachers, Interpreters, Copywriters, Designers, etc.

Among the 13 types of working visa categories, the most in-demand for sponsorship in Japan is the Engineer/Humanities/International Services. So if you are in Japan having other types of visas such as student, working holiday, or dependent and you want to switch to a working visa, it is important to qualify for one of the jobs listed above.

You should consider the requirements of the sponsoring company. Otherwise, you are not eligible for the working visa sponsorship.

You May Like: Guides To Get Jobs In the USA From Your Country

Common Requirements

  1. Educational background
  2. Certificate of training or specialized skills
  3. The length of related working experience
  4. The required level of Japanese Language skills 

The requirements will depend on every hiring company that will sponsor you for the working visa. Therefore, you should initially check if you have met all of their conditions before you apply for the job.

Knowing the following basic requirements is necessary for your job application for Japan.

Basic Requirements for Work Visa Sponsorship

  • Updated resume
  • Original passport
  • Birth Certificate
  • Certificate of employment
  • School Diploma
  • JLPT certificate (if any)


A resume is a document to introduce your qualifications and to market your abilities for the position to stand out among other candidates. It contains your contact details, technical skills, working history, educational attainment, and the accomplishments you have made with past employers. However, if you are required to submit an updated resume, you must add your current position and experience.

On the other hand, how to obtain a Certificate of Employment? You can request a Certificate of Employment from your past employer as you will need it for your future job application. This document certifies the following:

  • the date of employment
  • date of termination of employment
  • the kind of work you performed

This one of the required documents during job application abroad is important for this will be used by your possible employer to verify your employment history.

The other significant document to submit is the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) certificate, which is why you should pass the test to acquire it. There are five levels from N5 to N1, which is N5 is the easiest, and N1 is the hardest. Having this certificate presented during the hiring process could help you get a job offer.

They will not only check the documents that you have provided but also, they will conduct an interview. Make sure to come prepared for it.

Jobs Not Eligible for Work Visa Sponsorship

If you are already in Japan, and you want to switch your current visa to a working visa, these jobs most likely do not sponsor a working visa. Otherwise, the companies are big enough and eligible to sponsor a working visa.

  • Babysitter
  • Simple Construction Work (differ from working in a construction company)
  • Cleaning
  • Restaurant (Server, Kitchen helper)
  • Cashier (Convenience store, department, restaurant, shop, and so on)
  • Driver
  • Security
  • Some factory work
  • and so on.

However, some of those jobs mentioned above can be eligible for visa sponsorship with the new working visa category in Japan. That newly implemented visa is the specified skills visa, it allows lower-skilled foreign workers to apply to 14 sectors such as construction, industrial machinery, shipbuilding and marine, fisheries, nursing care, food service, and more others. This visa status allows foreign nationals to stay in the country for a maximum of 5 years.

If you previously worked in Japan as a Technical Intern Trainee, then getting this visa would be easy for you. There’s a higher chance you will get exempted from the language and skills exams, which are the primary requirements for the specified skills visa. The skills test takes place, both in Japan and overseas.

However, due to the COVID pandemic test schedules from different sectors are deferred while the nursing care evaluation test is ongoing for Japan demands more workers from this sector. You can check the schedules dates and venues in the “Specified Skills Visa Evaluation Test” article.

There are various companies in Japan willing to sponsor foreign workers for working visas. Most likely, these companies are eligible for visa sponsorship. So if you are qualified, why not begin your job-seeking journey in Japan now?

FAIR Work in Japan would like to be part of your job-searching journey in Japan. We provide helpful information on how to get a working visa, and we can also recommend job categories that will suit your qualifications.

COE Application

Once you passed the hiring process, then the visa processing will get started. First, the company that hires you will apply for the COE (Certificate of Eligibility) on your behalf at the Immigration Bureau office. To obtain a COE, you are required to have a sponsor.

Requirements for COE

  • Requirements for COE
  • Application form 1 copy
  • Photo 1 copy
    • size: 40 mm long x 30 mm wide
    • Background: Solid white only and no shadows.
    • Remover hat or head coverings
    • The picture must be sharp and clear.
    • Taken in the last 3 months before submission
    • The applicant’s name must be written on the back of the photo and attached to the photo column of the application form.
  • Reply Envelope (Affixed with a stamp worth 392 JPY
  • Supporting documents
  • A copy of the employing company registration
    profit and loss statement of the company
  • Supporting documents describing the company’s business
  • Documents from a foreign national applicant
  • Diploma or certificate relevant to the work in Japan
  • Documents that will certify the applicant’s profession.

The form will be provided at the local immigration office. It is also downloadable online from the Ministry of Justice website. Take note, that the COE application form varies depending on the purpose of entry. You can check it out here.

But how long does it take to get Coe in Japan? Processing will take from one to three months. For further details, the sponsor should inquire at the Regional Immigration Bureau.

Once issued with COE, your Japanese employer will send it to you. Bring the certificate together with the other required documents to apply for a working visa at the Japanese Embassy in your country.

Working Visa Requirements

  • Certificate of Eligibility and one copy of it
  • Completed visa application form
  • Passport
  • Photograph
  • Application fee

Working Visa Application – Already in Japan

Engaging in a job that is within the scope of the status of residence is very important. Why? Let’s take this example if you obtain a residence status classified as Technology Human Knowledge, International Affairs which permitted you to work as an engineer, then working other jobs such as a caregiver is not allowed, clearly because it’s beyond your status.

Therefore, if you want to apply for jobs outside the scope of the status of residence, then it requires you to change the status of residence to perform it legally. In this case, you and the hiring company will collaborate with the application for a change of residence status to the Immigration Bureau office.

See Also: United Kingdom Study and Work Opportunities

Requirements for Change Status

  • Application form
  • Photo 1 copy (40 mm long x 30 mm wide, complete name on the back of the photo, attached to the photo column of the application form)
  • Documents according to the contents of activities that can be conducted in Japan
  • Residence card (Including alien registration certificate regarded as residence card)
  • Activity permit Restrictions (if any)
  • Passport or Certificate of Eligibility (If you are unable to present your passport or Certificate of Eligibility, a statement of reasons must be submitted)
  • Documents to prove your identity
  • Revenue stamp (4,000 yen)

Change Student Visa to Work Visa

Hiring a newly graduate foreign national student, a change of visa from a student visa to a working visa is a must. This procedure is called an “application for change of status of residence” which falls under the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act Article 20. It is the same procedure as the above-mentioned, but there is a slight difference in the documents to be submitted. The method of change includes having permission from the country of origin of foreign national students to work in Japan. For more details regarding the application particularly the documents to be presented, check the Ministry of Justice on Japan’s official website here.

Be prepared!

Passing the job application until obtaining a residence status is a very complicated process. Preparation is the key. It should include the right planning and a lot of understanding to meet all the requirements. And what is more important, is that you should be truthful with all of the information you have provided. Otherwise, you will lose the opportunity to work abroad in Japan.

Please do not hesitate to contact us through our email or the comment box below!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *