How to apply for an Australian Visa – Do you wish to migrate to Australia?, If Yes, you need Australian Visa. All foreign visitors need a visa to enter Australia. Fortunately, it is possible to apply online for an Australian visa.
Australia Visa Application Online
The quickest and easiest visas for Australia to apply for are the ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) and the eVisitor visa. Applicants can submit their request from anywhere outside Australia as long as they have a device that can connect to the internet. The whole application process takes minutes to complete.
On this page, travelers will find information about the Australian visa application, including:
- Step-by-step application guide
- How to review the application and pay for the visa fees
- Possible outcomes of the Australian visa application and processing times
You May Like: How to Apply For Canadian Work Visas & Work Permit
How to Apply for an Australian Visa
The application is completed entirely online. Travelers can apply from their home or office or even on the go from their mobile phone.
It is not necessary to make an appointment with an Australian embassy/consulate or an Australian visa application center to submit a visa request.
For the ETA and eVisitor visas, the process is quite straightforward. Travelers must Follow these 3 simple steps:
- Fill out the application form
- Submit copies of relevant documents
- Review the application and pay the Australian visa fees
The ETA and eVisitor visas are intended for short-term stays (usually up to 3 months.) With a single visa application online, visa holders can enter Australia multiple times.
How to Fill the Australian Visa Application Form
The application form is an online questionnaire that must be filled out in all of its parts.
The form includes questions about:
- The visitor’s personal information such as full name and date of birth
- Passport and other relevant document details
- Reason(s) for travel
- Details of the traveler’s health and criminal records (if applicable)
Apply for an Australian Visa
Australian Visa Application Form: Step-by-Step Guide
The ETA and eVisitor application form is divided into sections requesting different types of information. Each section is composed of 1 to 5 questions.
After completing a section, the applicant is automatically taken to the next. Travelers can find the details below.
Section 1: Personal Information
On the first page of the Australian visa application online, travelers find questions about their basic personal information such as:
- First and family name
- Date and country of birth
- Country of citizenship
- Depending on the nationality selected, the application form will automatically update and adapt to the ETA or eVisa request.
Section 2: Passport Details
The traveler then provides the details of the passport they will use to enter Australia. These include:
- Passport number
- Date and place of issuance
- Passport expiry date
- The form also asks whether the visitor holds dual nationality. It is possible for individuals with dual citizenship to apply for an ETA/eVisitor visa for Australia, but they must choose just one passport to request the visa and travel.
Section 3: Contact Information
Applicants are asked to provide the following information:
- Home address
- Mobile phone number
- Email address (this is where they will receive their approved visa and information regarding their Australian visa application)
- At this stage, travelers are also asked the reason(s) why they intend to visit Australia. The ETA and eVisitor visa can be used for tourism, business, or transit purposes. Those who wish to find employment in Australia will need a different visa, like a working holiday visa or a work visa.
Section 4: Character Details
Foreign nationals must meet certain character requirements to enter Australia. The application includes questions regarding the traveler’s criminal record.
Please note: those with a criminal conviction who have spent more than 1 year in prison are not eligible to apply for the ETA and eVisitor visa online. However, this does not mean that they cannot visit Australia — they just need to apply for a different type of visa.
Finally, the applicant is asked to confirm that they have read and understood the terms and conditions of the visa application.
Review and confirm payment of visa fees.
After uploading copies of supporting documents such as the passport, visitors are encouraged to review the application.
Remember that all questions in the form must be answered as truthfully as possible with complete information. Failure to do so may result in the Australian visa application being denied or delayed. Checking that all information is correct is paramount for a successful visa application.
Finally, petitioners can proceed to pay the application fees through a secure payment gateway. All major debit and credit cards are accepted.
To complete the payment process, visa applicants must:
- Select the card of their choice
- Provide the cardholder name
- Type the card number
- Select the card expiration date (month/year)
- Confirm the card CVV security code
- After the application: receive an approved Australian visa
- Electronic visas for Australia are sent to the applicant via email. Although the visa is electronically linked to the passport used during the application, it is best to print a paper copy of the visa before travelling.
The approved ETA or eVisitor, together with the passport it is linked to, must be presented at the Australian border upon arrival. The Australian Border Force and immigration authorities will proceed to clear the visitor for entry.
How Long Does it take to get an Australian Visa?
The application process only takes minutes. It is designed to be easy to complete from any device.
After the request is submitted, the Australian authorities review the visa application and make a decision within 1-2 business days. Many successful applicants receive their approved Australian visa within hours.
Australian Visa Application Status
The Australian authorities notify the applicant of the outcome of their request. Sometimes, more information is required to assess the application.
If the request is referred for further assessment, the applicant can track its status by logging into the online system and selecting the ‘Check an ETA’ or ‘Check an eVisitor’ option.
If the application is denied, foreign nationals can complete a new request or apply for a different visa.
Delays may occur near bank holidays or due to incorrect/incomplete information in the application. Applicants should check their email spam/junk folder if they notice that their request is taking longer than expected.